Black Walnut Fig Granola
Not just a snack or breakfast cereal, this is an excellent accompaniment with artisan and specialty cheeses. Recipe by Chef Jason Gorman.
2 cups rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup black walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup walnut oil
Assorted Wisconsin Artisan Cheeses
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line sheet pan with sides with parchment paper. Stir together rolled oats, coconut, nuts, figs and sesame seeds. In separate bowl, combine honey and oil; whisk to combine. Pour over oat mixture; mix well. Spread evenly on prepared pan.
- Bake 20 minutes; stir. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Turn mixture onto large piece of foil; pat flat. Cool and break into chunks.
- Store at room temperature in tightly sealed containers or bags for up to 2 weeks. May also be stored longer in freezer.
Makes 6 cups.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.