Crispy Buffalo Croquettes
Cubes of creamy gouda cheese are enrobed in seasoned ground buffalo and fried until crispy. Serve hot with a pineapple fruit salsa as an accompaniment.
1 pound ground buffalo
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper (or to taste)
6 to 8 ounces Wisconsin Gouda cheese, in one piece
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups fine dry plain bread crumbs
1 cup vegetable or light olive oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Season the ground buffalo with salt and pepper. Divide into 32 (1/2 ounce) portions.
- Cut Gouda into 32 cubes.
- Flatten each of the meat portions into a small patty. Place cheese cube in center and wrap meat around, forming a ball (be sure all the cheese is covered).
- Place buttermilk in shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs on sheet of waxed paper. Roll each croquette in the buttermilk, then the crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and brown the croquettes in batches. Drain on paper towels and place on large baking sheets.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes at 350°F (175°C).
- Serve immediately.
Makes 32 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.