Crostini translates as 'little toasts' in Italian. For flavor variations, try brushing the crostini with infused oils or sprinkle with desired dried herbs or seasonings.
1 loaf French bread, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Arrange the bread slices on the baking sheet and generously brush with olive oil. Turn the slices over and repeat brushing with olive oil.
- Bake for about 6 minutes, turning the baking sheet around in the oven halfway throught the baking time to ensure even browning. Bake until the croutons are lightly browned.
- Cool crostini completely before serving.
- Serve as is with foods, or top as desired.
Makes about 32 crostini.