Chocolate Revel Bars
These oat and chocolate cookie bars have long been a favorite treat at lunch and snack time.
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups quick-cooking oats
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt - divided use
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips with the sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts and the remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly
- In a medium bowl whisk together oats, flour, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; add eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla and beat until well mixed. Stir in oat/flour mixture until just combined.
- Reserve 1/3 of the oat mixture and press the remaining 2/3 into prepared baking pan; spread chocolate mixture over dough layer. Crumble remaining 1/3 oat mixture evenly over the chocolate layer.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack and cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars.