Baked Beef Brisket
Basic beef brisket — without the barbecue sauce. Serve with your favorite side dishes, or slice and serve in sandwich rolls dressed with your favorite sauce, toppings and or condiments.
4 pounds boneless beef brisket
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large onions, thickly sliced
3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place beef brisket, fat side up, in 13 x 10-inch shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle brisket evenly with salt, pepper and garlic. Top with onion.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 1 hour, or until onions turn brown.
- Add 1 cup hot water and cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C) and continue cooking 2 hours or until brisket is tender.
- Remove brisket and onions to warm platter. Skim fat from juices or use a gravy separator.
- To make gravy, combine 1 cup water and cornstarch. Add to juices in pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gravy boils and thickens.
- Carve brisket across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve brisket and onions with gravy.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.