BBQ-Rubbed Beef Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 beef eye round roast (2 to 3 pound)
1 3/4 pound new red to skinned potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For Rub: Combine rub ingredients; reserve 2 tablespoon for potatoes. Press remaining rub onto beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours for medium rare doneness. (Do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile mix reserved rub with 2 teaspoon water; toss with potatoes. Roast in greased baking pan, covered, 1 hour. Stir potatoes; roast, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise to 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare.)
- Carve roast; season with salt. Serve with potatoes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.