Beef Steak with Apple and Kiwi Sauce
A delicious, savory sauce of apple, kiwifruit, onion, gingerroot, soy sauce and and rice wine is combined with grilled chunks of ribeye beef and served garnished with slices of kiwifruit.
1 apple, peeled and chopped
2 kiwifruit, peeled
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon freshly grated gingerroot
7 tablespoons soy sauce
7 tablespoons Asian rice wine
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch (corn flour)
14 ounces ribeye beef
1 kiwifruit for garnish
- Cut apple, peeled kiwifruit, onion and gingerroot in small pieces and place in a blender, until smooth.
- Add the fruit mixture to a saucepan with the soy sauce, Asian cooking rice wine, sugar, and corn flour and heat. Stir, until thick. Add more cooking rice wine or soy sauce, if necessary for consistency or flavor.
- Cut beef in 3/4-inch-thick chunks, grill to desired doneness.
- Combine grilled beef chunks with the sauce.
- Serve grilled beef and sauce garnished with sliced kiwi.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Zespri New Zealand Kiwifruit.