Beer-Braised Brisket with Mustard Sauce
Flavorful fork-tender, onion and beer braised beef brisket served with a tangy mustard sauce.
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds boneless beef brisket
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer or pale ale
1/2 cup Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot; brown beef brisket. Remove; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add onions to pot; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Place brisket, fat side up, in pot. Add beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket. Skim fat; cook cooking liquid, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced by half (the onion sauce).
- For Mustard Sauce: Combine mustard, parsley and 2 tablespoons onion sauce.
- Carve brisket diagonally across the grain; top with remaining onion sauce. Serve with Mustard Sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.