Citrus-Marinated Beef & Fruit Kabobs
Cubes of beef top sirloin are marinated for flavor in a mixture of orange peel, cilantro and smoked paprika and then grilled alongside skewers of watermelon, peaches, and mango.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of iron.
1 pound beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 1 inch thick
1 medium orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
4 cups cubed mango, watermelon, peaches and/or plums
8 (9-inch) bamboo skewers
- Grate peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from orange; reserve juice.
- Combine orange peel, cilantro, paprika, and ground red pepper, if desired, in small bowl.
- Cut beef Steak into 1 1/4-inch pieces. Place beef and 2 1/2 tablespoons cilantro mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat.
- Place remaining cilantro mixture and fruit in separate food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bags securely.
- Marinate beef and fruit in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain.
- Thread beef evenly onto four skewers leaving small space between pieces.
- Thread fruit onto remaining four separate skewers.
- Place kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill beef kabobs, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 11 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 162.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill fruit kabobs 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown, turning once.
- Season beef with salt, as desired. Drizzle reserved orange juice over fruit kabobs.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 239 calories; 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 70 mg cholesterol; 57 mg sodium; 20 g carbohydrate; 2.4 g fiber; 27 g protein; 11.3 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 2.1 mg iron; 31.0 mcg selenium; 5.0 mg zinc; 107.1 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.