Deviled Swiss Steak
Fork-tender, braised beef round steak with mushrooms.
3 pounds round steak
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut round steak into serving size pieces. In a small bowl combine dry mustard, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over the round steak and pound on both sides with a meat mallet.
- In a large skillet brown the steak in oil. Pour off the drippings.
- Drain canned mushrooms reserve the the liquid and enough water to make 1/2 cup. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and add to the round steak.
- Cover the skillet tightly and cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the reserved mushrooms during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Place the round steak on a warm serving platter and top with the mushrooms.
Makes 10 servings.