Espresso-Bourbon Steaks with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
Ground black pepper to taste
4 beef tenderloin steaks or petite steaks, cut 1-inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
2 to 4 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
9 ounces peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Steamed green beans for accompaniment
- For Espresso-Bourbon Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients, except pepper, in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 12 to 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced by about half, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper. Keep warm.
- Press coarsely cracked pepper on both sides of beef steak.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Place steaks in skillet; cook 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Place peeled and cubed sweet potatoes and salt in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Combine potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Beat until mashed and smooth.
- Evenly divide sauce onto 4 plates. Place steak on top of sauce. Serve with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and green beans.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.