Fennel-Crusted Beef Roast
with White Beans, Tomatoes and Arugula
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
1 (4 to 6-pound) boneless beef round tip roast
2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cups grape tomatoes
6 cups fresh baby arugula or fresh baby spinach (about 5 ounces)
Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For Seasoning: Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 2 to 2 1/2 hours for medium to rare , 2 1/2 to 3 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile drain beans, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Place beans, 2 tablespoon reserved liquid, 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a food processor. Cover; process until smooth. Add rosemary, salt and ground black pepper. Cover; pulse on and off until well blended. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Refrigerate remaining 2 tablespoons bean liquid.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 140°F (60°C) for medium to rare, 155°F (65.5°C) for medium.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand, covered, 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 5°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium to rare, 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Just before serving, heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until skins begin to split. Add arugula; remove from heat. Toss to coat with oil. season with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Add bean mixture to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until just heated through, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons remaining bean liquid as necessary for desired consistency.
- Carve roast into thin slices. Serve with bean and arugula mixtures. Garnish with cheese, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 459; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 150mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 53g; Sodium: 541mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.