Maple-Glazed Rib Roast with Roasted Acorn Squash
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (6 to 8-pound) beef rib roast (2 to 4 ribs), small end, chine (back) bone removed
2 medium acorn squash, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine maple syrup, thyme and garlic in medium bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup for squash. Brush half of remaining syrup mixture onto all surfaces of beef roast. Reserve remaining for basting.
- Place roast, fat to side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350°F (175°C) oven 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours for medium rare; 2 to 3/4 to 3 hours for medium doneness, basting with syrup mixture halfway through roasting time.
- Meanwhile, place squash, cut sides up, in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Brush cut sides of squash with some reserved syrup mixture; evenly pour remaining mixture into each well. Roast, uncovered, 45 minutes, brushing cut sides with syrup mixture from wells, halfway through baking time.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium doneness. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.) Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 425°F (220°C) and continue to roast squash 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and edges begin to brown.
- Carve roast into slices. Cut each squash half into 2 wedges, carefully spooning syrup mixture onto each wedge. Season beef and squash with salt and pepper, as desired.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe; 6 ounces cooked beef): Calories: 326; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 111mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 38g; Sodium: 84mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.