Onion Lover's Grilled Steak Kabobs with Crumbled Blue Cheese
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 teaspoons steak seasoning blend - divided use
2 large assorted onions (red, yellow, sweet), each cut into 12 wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Cut beef steak into 1 1/4-inch pieces. Alternately thread beef and green onion pieces evenly onto four 10-inch metal skewers. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning.
- Thread onion wedges onto another four 10-inch metal skewers, alternating onion varieties. Brush onion wedges with oil; sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning.
- Place onion wedge kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally. (Gas grilling times remain the same.)
- About 10 minutes before onions are done, move kabobs to outer edge of grid. Place beef kabobs in center of grid; grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 11 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning once.
- Sprinkle onion and beef kabobs with cheese before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: 8 (9-inch) bamboo skewers may be substituted for metal skewers. Soak bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes before using; drain.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 279; Calories From Fat: 11; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 56mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 696mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.