Russian-Style Beef Stroganoff
According to the Wikipedia, Beef Stroganoff was invented by a chef working for a Russian general, Count Pavel Stroganov, in the 1890s and the dish included nutmeg...a spice not normally used in the majority of beef stroganoff recipes used today.
6 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 pounds beef steak
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sour cream
Cooked egg noodles or rice
- In a heavy skillet melt half of the butter. Add onion and cook slowly until transparent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium-high, add beef and cook briefly, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside with the onions.
- Melt remaining half of the butter in the skillet and stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Whisk in sour cream but do not allow to boil. Return beef and onions to pan and heat through.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
Makes 6 servings.