Steak and Kidney Pie
Beef steak and kidney pie hails from Great Britain.
1 beef kidney, diced
2 pounds round steak, diced
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
4 potatoes, diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups biscuit baking mix
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons chilled butter
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons water
- In a saucepan, combine diced beef kidney, diced round steak, and water to cover. Add sliced onion, chopped carrots, diced potatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Meanwhile, place biscuit baking mix and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in butter and shortening until the mixture is well combined. Add up to 3 tablespoons water, a little at a time, until the dough just holds together. Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 9-inch baking dish.
- Roll out the pastry and place on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is browned.
Makes 6 servings.