Stove-Top Beef Burgundy
This stove-top beef burgundy is every bite as good as its oven-baked cousin.
1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter - divided use
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large white onion, chopped
2 cups peeled baby carrots
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer beef to plate.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices, carrots, thyme, wine and broth to pan; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until meat and carrots are tender.
- Remove cover; increase heat and boil until broth is slightly thickened.
- Season stew to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.