T-Bones with Sweet and Savory Steak Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Sweet and Savory Steak Sauce:
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 beef T-Bone steaks, cut 1-inch thick (about 16 ounces each)
1/2 pound small carrots with tops, trimmed
2 tablespoons water
2 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
- For Sweet and Savory Steak Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. Place sauce in blender or food processor container. Cover; pulse on and off for slightly chunky texture. (For a thinner sauce, stir in additional 1 to 2 teaspoons water.) Return sauce to saucepan; keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place carrots and 2 tablespoons water in large nonstick skillet. Cover; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until water has evaporated; add squash. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat evenly. Continue to cook, uncovered, 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, as desired.
- Meanwhile, press pepper evenly onto beef steaks.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 15 to 19 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove bones; carve steaks crosswise into slices. Season steaks with salt, as desired. Serve with sauce and vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 354; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 32g; Sodium: 792mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.