Tri Tip Roast Supper
This rosemary-seasoned tri-tip roast, with roasted onions and sweet potatoes, is a supper treat your family will love.
1 beef tri-tip roast (approximately 2 pounds)
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium sweet onions, cut into 1-inch thick wedges
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Combine rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper to form a paste. Spread half of the herb paste evenly over surface of beef tri-tip roast.
- Add oil to remaining herb paste and mix well.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl. Pour herb-oil mixture over vegetables and sitr to coat evenly.
- Place roast, fat side up, in an open roasting pan. Arrange coated vegetables around roast. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes for rare to medium.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for rare or 155°F for medium. Allow roast to stand, tented with aluminum foil, for 10 minutes. Roast will continue to rise in temperature to reach 140°F (60°C) for rare and 160°F (70°C) for medium.
- While roast is standing, increase oven temperature to 475°F (245°C). Continue cooking vegetables 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Tip: Tri-tip is also called bottom sirloin.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.