These Swedish-style sweet buns couldn't be easier. The dough is spooned into greased muffin cups soon as it is mixed and baked after it has risen only one time.
3/4 cup warm water
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour - divided use
1 large egg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup chopped blanched almonds - divided use
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Measure water into a large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Stir until dissolved.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, salt and half the flour. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed on electric mixer or 300 vigorous strokes by hand.
- Add egg and butter; blend. Gradually beat in remaining flour until smooth. Mix in 1/3 cup of almonds.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups, filling each approximately half full. Combine remaining almonds and 3 tablespoons sugar; sprinkle on tops.
- Let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen.