Apple Cranberry Tea Ring
A festive and delightful fruit and nut-filled pastry made like cinnamon rolls, but shaped into a ring and cut into a decorative wreath.
3 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) package RED STAR Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1 egg white
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup apples, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed, chopped
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
- For Dough: Blend 1 cup flour with next 3 ingredients; set aside.
- Heat milk, water, butter, and zest until warm (120°F | 50°C); pour into large bowl. Add reserved flour mixture. Blend on low 30 seconds; add egg. Beat on medium 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour.
- Knead dough on floured surface 5 to 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in oiled bowl; turn to grease. Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place until double in size, 1 hour.
- Punch down dough on lightly floured surface. Roll into 15x12-inch rectangle. Blend egg white and water; brush over dough. Refrigerate remaining egg.
- For Filling: Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Top with apples, cranberries and hazelnuts. Starting with long side of dough, roll into log; pinch to seal. Form into ring; overlap and seal ends. Place seam-side down on greased baking sheet.
- Using scissors, cut ring from outside through all dough layers to within 1-inch of center. Make 12 cuts, 2-inches apart. Twist each cut section 3/4-turn so cut side faces downward forming pinwheel. Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching side, 30 minutes Brush with remaining egg white.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown; cool.
- For Icing: Blend powdered sugar, orange juice and zest. Drizzle over cooled tea ring.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 290; Total Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 51g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 230mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Cranberry Marketing Committee.