Apricot Banana Nut Bread
Moist and flavorful, banana nut bread with dried apricots and oats.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pecans or walnuts - divided use
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease bottom only of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with vegetable shortening. Dust bottom of pan with flour; tap out excess.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Add apricots and 1/4 cup pecans; mix well.
- Whisk together bananas, buttermilk, oil, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl until well blended. Add to dry ingredients all at once. Stir just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Pour into pan. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons pecans.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cover 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove bread from pan. Cool completely on rack.
- Wrap bread tightly and store up to 3 days at room temperature.
Makes 1 loaf.