Best Dinner Rolls
Start at least the day before you need these dinner rolls as the first rise is done in the refrigerator overnight.
2 cups water
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
7 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- In a large bowl place 2 cups water and butter. Microwave about 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix 1 cup sugar and eggs.
- In a separate cup, microwave 1/2 cup water for 30 seconds. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and dissolve yeast in this.
- Mix butter water and sugar and eggs mixture together; add salt. Mix in yeast water. Stir in 7 to 7 1/2 cups flour. Mix well and let rise in the refrigerator overnight, covered.
- When ready to use, dump out onto floured surface (Do not punch down!) and let warm to room temperature. Lightly knead, only working in enough extra flour to handle.
- Shape into rolls and place on greased baking sheet(s). Let rise 30 minutes in warm area or until doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven until tops are golden.
Makes 24 big rolls.