Blueberry Orange Muffins
Irresistible orange-scented oat muffins with blueberries.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
3/4 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Combine 1 1/3 cups flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl; make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, cream shortening with the sugar. Add the egg, milk, orange juice and orange peel; mix well. Pour mixture into well. Mix batter until just moistened; do not over mix.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour and gently fold into batter.
- Fill prepared muffin tins two-thirds full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.