Boysenberry Pocket Muffins
These low-fat bran muffins are so good, you won't even be tempted to add a pat of butter.
1 1/2 cups 100% bran cereal
1 1/4 cups nonfat or lowfat milk
2 extra-large egg whites or 1/3 cup Egg Exchange
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup boysenberry jam (or your favorite flavor of jam)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For Muffins: Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- In blender or food processor, process cereal until finely crushed. Place cereal in a large bowl; pour milk over and stir. Let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg whites, oil and brown sugar until combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin cups about half-full with batter. Drop a teaspoon of the jam onto center of batter in each cup. Spoon remaining batter over, carefully covering jam dollop (cups will be nearly full).
- For Topping: In a small bowl, stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle mixture over batter.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until set. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- You can double this recipe to make 24 muffins and freeze the extra muffins by wrapping individually in plastic wrap.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Fat 5 grams; Calories 181; Saturated 1 gram; Protein 5 grams; Unsaturated 4 grams; Carbohydrates 33 grams; Cholesterol O mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Chino Valley Ranchers.