Brown Sugar Buns
These buns have a buttery-yeast dough in which crushed brown sugar nuggets are baked. The sugar forms delightful pockets of maple-ish flavor during baking.
1 cup warm water
5 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 to 6 cups unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar cubes, coarsely crushed
Melted butter and sugar for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in milk, butter, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, and enough flour (start with 4 cups) to make a manageable dough. Mix dough, then knead on a lightly floured work surface to make a soft dough (or use a dough hook). Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Deflate dough - gently.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with the crushed brown sugar cubes evenly over the dough. Roll dough, jelly roll fashion, and then flatten slightly with your hands. Cut the roll into 8 to 10 sections. Place buns, uncut-side up, on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Make slits atop each bun. Insert the baking sheet into a large plastic bag and allow buns to rise for about 30 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brush buns with melted butter and generously sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 8 to 10 sweet buns.