Buttermilk Cinnamon Rolls
Fill your kitchen with the inviting aroma of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. Dress them up by making a simple icing of milk and powdered sugar to drizzle over the top.
2 packets active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- To prepare dough: Dissolve yeast in warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C). In a small saucepan heat buttermilk until warm, about the same temperature as the water. Combine yeast and buttermilk in a large bowl; stir in flour, oil, sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix until a ball forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until elastic. Return to bowl, loosely cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Press out air and roll dough into a 10 x 18-inch rectangle. Let rise again for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- While dough rises, prepare topping in a bowl by mixing together, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Grease a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Press air out of dough and spread topping evenly over rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border on one of the long sides. Firmly roll up, starting from one long end and ending on the end with the border. Pinch lightly to seal. Slice into rounds 1 1/2-inches thick. Place cut sides up on prepared pan and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Bake rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly and serve warm.
Makes 12 cinnamon rolls.