Caramel Sunflower Rolls
Sweet rolls with a cinnamon, brown sugar and sunflower seed filling, topped with a caramel sunflower seed sauce.
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoonsactive dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups warm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light molasses
2 large eggs, beaten
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sunflower margarine
1/2 cup raw or roasted sunflower kernels
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sunflower margarine
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup raw or roasted sunflower kernels
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water (110° to 115°F / 40°C to 45°C). Add sugar, milk, salt and molasses. Mix well. Add eggs and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour; mix. Add whole wheat flour and mix well. Continue adding remaining all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each cup, until dough is soft but not sticky to the hands.
- Knead dough 4 to 5 minutes. Roll out to 1/4-inch thick and at least 18-inches long. Spread with 1/4 cup margarine.
- Roll sunflower kernels with a rolling pin until finely crushed; sprinkle over margarine. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar over sunflower kernels. Roll up dough jelly roll fashion; cut into 24 rolls. Place in pans on top of the Caramel Sauce (see below). Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Bake rolls at 325°F (160°C) for 25 to 30 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter while still warm.
- Caramel Sauce: Melt sunflower margarine in a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar and honey. Cook over low heat until mixture begins to boil. Pour caramel into 2 greased 8 x 12-inch pans and sprinkle sunflower kernels over each pan.
Makes 24 cinnamon rolls.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Sunflower Association.