Chocolate filled braid and steaming hot coffee-just the perfect combination for a chilly winter day or a sunny morning.
A wonderful recipe perfect for brunch created by Kimberly Betz, Indiana, PA.
2 cups (12 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
2/3 cup (5 ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 (0.25-ounce) packets active-dry or fast-rising yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk (just enough for drizzling consistency)
- For Chocolate Filling: Heat morsels, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in small saucepan until morsels are melted and mixture is smooth; remove from heat. Stir in nuts, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- For Braid: Combine 4 cups flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, yeast and salt in large mixer bowl.
- Heat milk, butter and water just until warm (120°F to 130°F / 50°C to 55°C) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of remaining flour as possible.
- Turn dough out onto slightly floured surface. Knead in remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two baking sheets with foil.
- Divide dough in half. Roll half of dough into 18 x 10-inch rectangle. Place dough on one prepared baking sheet. Spread half of chocolate filling lengthwise down center of dough. Cut 1-inch wide diagonal strips on both sides of dough to within 3/4 inch of filling. Crisscross dough strips over filling. Leave as long braid or bring ends together to form a ring, pinching ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover; let rise in warm place for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown; cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack.
- For Icing: Combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter and remaining vanilla extract in small bowl. Slowly add enough milk for drizzling consistency; stir. Drizzle icing over braids. Cut into slices.
Makes 36 slices total (2 braids).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe): Calories: 250 Calories from Fat: 100 Total Fat: 12 g Saturated Fat: 6 g Cholesterol: 30 mg Sodium: 115 mg Carbohydrates: 32 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 15 g Protein: 4 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.