Cottage Cheese Sourdough Pan Rolls
Incredible sourdough rolls, a must try if you have a sourdough starter.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 110°F | 45°C)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup Sourdough Starter, at room temperature
1 large egg
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
About 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
- In a bowl, combine yeast and warm water; let stand until yeast is softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, whirl cottage cheese, starter and egg until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and 4 cups of the flour. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cottage cheese mixture and yeast mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 18 pieces; shape each into a ball. Arrange 9 balls in each of 2 greased 8-inch round baking pans. Cover and let rise until puffy, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven until golden, about 30 to 35 minutes. Turn rolls out onto racks to cool.
Makes 18 dinner rolls.