Country Cheddar Muffins
These herb-seasoned country cheddar muffins compliment a variety of foods.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded - divided use
1 cup milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons grainy mustard (optional)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon mixed herbs, chopped fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In large bowl mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese; toss.
- In small bowl whisk milk, egg and mustard. Add to flour mixture with butter and herbs. Mix just to blend.
- Spoon into 10 paper-lined or buttered 2 3/4-inch muffin tin cups.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until springy to the touch and pick inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean.
Makes 10 muffins.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.