Cranberry-Blueberry Breakfast Muffins
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup margarine
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup melted margarine
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated orange peel (optional)
- For Muffins: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, cream together sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, soy flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir until all ingredients until just combined.
- Gently add desired berries and fold lightly into batter.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Dip baked muffins in melted margarine then in sugar. Top with orange peel if desired.
Makes 18 muffins.
Note: These muffins will rise only slightly above the muffin pan.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/18 of recipe): Calories: 184; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 220mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.