Cranberry-Orange Oat Bread
Flavorful and scrumptious, orange-scented cranberry oat bread with toasted nuts.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted*
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour bottom only of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; mix well. Stir in cranberries and toasted nuts.
- Combine eggs, milk, orange juice, oil and orange peel in a medium bowl; blend well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.) Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Store tightly wrapped.
Makes 1 loaf.
*To toast nuts, spread evenly in shallow baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°) for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool completely before using.