Delicious cinnamon rolls with an enticing crumb topping.
1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
6 cups bread flour (more or less)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
Scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup(1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- For Dough: Sprinkle yeast over warm water; set aside.
- In saucepan, heat 1 cup milk to scalding; pour it into mixing bowl.
- Add butter, sugar and salt. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in dissolved yeast and eggs.
- Beat in 2 cups flour, then gradually stir in more flour - enough to make soft dough.
- On floured surface, turn out dough and knead until smooth and satiny.
- Place dough in large buttered bowl; cover. Let stand in warm place until doubled in size, about an hour.
- For Sugar Filling: In a separate bowl mix together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- For Crumbs: Combine 2 cups sifted flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon. Add a pinch of salt and drop of vanilla. Mix at low speed with electric mixer until little crumbs are formed.
- When dough has doubled, roll out on floured board to make rectangle about 18 x 26-inches. Paint top of dough with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar filling.
- Then roll up as for jelly roll and cut into 1-inch-wide pieces. Place these, touching each other, on a greased pan about 12 x 16-inches or use an 11 x 13-inch roasting pan.
- Paint tops of each slice with melted butter and sprinkle with crumbs.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- When buns have cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Make 24 sweet buns.
Tip: These can be frozen, but omit the powdered sugar and sprinkle it on after thawed.