A soft and sweet, egg and potato yeast bread.
1 potato, peeled and diced
5 cups bread flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup powdered
2 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
- In a saucepan boil potato until tender, about 6 to 9 minutes; drain, reserving liquid.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, powered milk, yeast and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the potato and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 1 1/4 cups of the reserved liquid. Stir in the flour mixture and beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Add eggs and yolk, beat at medium speed for 1 minute. Knead in flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and place in 2 greased 8-inch cake pans. Cover and let rise for 25 minutes.
- Brush the tops with milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) 45 to 50 minutes. Reduce the heat if the top browns too quickly. Allow to cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 loaves.