Hurry-Up Batter Rolls
Homemade yeast dinner rolls in about 2 hours, start to finish.
3 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup CRISCO all-vegetable shortening or 1/2 CRISCO Stick
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
Melted CRISCO all-vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon poppy seed
- In mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour and yeast.
- In saucepan, heat milk, Crisco, sugar, and salt just till warm (150ºF-200ºF), stirring till Crisco almost melts; add to dry mixture. Add egg. Beat with electric mixer at low speed for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, beat in remaining flour till batter is thoroughly mixed.
- Cover; let rise till double, about 1 hour.
- Stir down and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Drop batter by tablespoons into greased muffin pans, filling half full. Cover; let rise till double in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Brush tops lightly with melted Crisco; sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Makes 20 rolls
Recipe provided courtesy of Crisco®, registered trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company.