Morning Spice Mini Muffins
These flavorful mini bites make a great snack or treat in the morning with your first cup of coffee. Canola oil in the recipe creates moist, soft muffins.
Recipe by George Geary, CCP, a cooking teacher, pastry chef, cookbook author, food writer and award winning culinary tour guide.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup molasses, dark
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Prepare 4 mini muffin tins of 12 each with paper cups. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk vigorously, canola oil, molasses, sugar and eggs. Set aside.
- In small bowl, dissolve baking soda with hot water. Add to oil and sugar mixture, whisking until fully blended. Fold in flour mixture until well blended.
- Divide evenly into prepared mini muffin cups. Bake about 9-11 minutes or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool in pans fully, prior to removing.
Makes 4 dozen mini muffins. Serving size: 1 mini muffin.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe; 1 mini muffin): Calories 70; Total Fat 2.5g; Saturated Fat 0g; Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 60mg; Carbohydrates 12g; Fiber 0g; Protein 1g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.