Oat Bran Popovers with Herb Butter
These light and airy oat bran popovers are served with a delicious, fresh herb-flavored butter.
1/3 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 green onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
2 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Butter popover pan or 6 (6-ounce) custard cups.
- For Herb Butter: Stir together the butter, onion, oregano, parsley and garlic in small bowl. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
- For Popovers: Beat eggs in small bowl at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until thick and lemon-colored.
- Add milk and butter; continue beating 1 minute.
- Add flour, oat bran and salt; continue beating until well mixed.
- Pour batter into custard cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C). DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Insert knife into popovers to make a small slit to allow steam to escape.
- Serve immediately with herb butter.
Makes 6 servings and 1/3 cup herb butter.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.