Oatmeal Raisin Bread
A delicious, cinnamon swirled oatmeal yeast bread with raisins.
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup raisins
2 cups boiling water
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water
6 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Combine whole wheat flour, dark brown sugar, salt, butter, quick cooking oatmeal (uncooked), and raisins in a large bowl; mix well. Add boiling water, stirring to melt the butter; cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add to the oatmeal mixture and mix well. Add flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch the dough down, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead for 2 minutes. Divide the dough in half and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half into a 18 x 9-inch rectangle.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the rectangles, then roll-up, jelly roll fashion, beginning from the short end. Fold the ends over and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise for 40 to 50 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 40 to 45 minutes, or until done. Remove from the pans and cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 loaves.