Serve these savory muffins at your next barbecue.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (12-ounce) can beer, allowed to go flat and at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°).
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, basil, pepper and garlic powder in a large bowl, make a well in center and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the beer, oil and onion.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the well of the flour mixture, stirring just until combined, do not over mix. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Fill a greased muffin tin about two-thirds full with dough.
- Beat egg white with water; brush top of muffins. Let stand for 10 minutes then bake for 25 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. Serve immediately.
Makes 18 muffins.