Fill your home with the heavenly aroma of orange-scented bread baking in the oven with these scrumptious sweet yeast rolls.
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
5 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound butter
3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, then add 1/2 cup sugar and stir until dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan scald milk. Add shortening and stir until shortening has completely melted.
- Pour milk mixture into a large mixing bowl and cool to lukewarm. Stir in eggs and the yeast mixture.
- In a seperate bowl combine flour and salt; slowly add to the liquid mixture, stirring to mix until too stiff to stir. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Cover and allow to rise about 1 hour. While dough is rising grease a large bowl and set aside.
- Punch down dough and place in the greased bowl. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients of butter, 3/4 cup sugar, and grated orange peel until it resembles crumbs. Set aside until dough has chilled.
- Grease a muffin tin or tins that hold 18 muffins; set aside.
- Roll chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface and shape into a large rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Spread the filling over the dough evenly and roll the dough into a log. Slice the log into rounds about 3/4-inch thick and place each round in a greased muffin tin. Cover and place in warm area until dough has doubled in size; about 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 18 sweet rolls.