Peach Muffins with Streusel Topping
These peach-filled muffins with their crunchy streusel topping will brighten your morning, or afternoon.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided use
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided use
1 1/2 tablespoons powdered milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided use
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup water
1 large egg, beaten
3 peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a muffin tin; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine first addition of flour, half the sugar, half the brown sugar, powdered milk, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt.
- Cut or rub in the first addition of shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water and egg and mix just until absorbed. Fold in peaches.
- Drop into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about two-thirds.
- In a medium bowl, combine second addition of flour, remaining sugar, remaining brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, butter and second addition of shortening. Cut or rub together until mixture resembles peas or large granules. If too moist, rub in several teaspoons of flour. Sprinkle streusel on top of batter.
- Bake until browned and the center springs bake when gently pressed with the fingers, 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.