Poppy Seed Dinner Rolls
The heavenly aroma of these homemade rolls, that will scent the air of your home as they bake, go hand-in-hand with their amazing taste!
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
1/3 cup plus 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup warm water
2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tablespoon poppy seed
5 1/3 cup all purpose flour - divided use
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Extra Poppy seeds for garnish
- In a mixer bowl dissolve quick-rising dry yeast and sugar in warm water and let it stand until the mixture is slightly foamy.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer and turn to speed 2, add milk, oil, egg, sugar, poppy seeds and salt.
- Mix well until everything is combined - about 30 seconds.
- Gradually add flour to the batter and mix it until its smooth for about 1 minute
- Combine flour and chilled butter in a food processor or you can use a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal add this to the batter in the mixing bowl.
- Turn to speed 2 and mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Knead on speed 2 until smooth, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add up to 1/3 of a cup of flour more if the dough remains sticky.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until the dough nearly doubles in size.
- Now coat 2 (12-cup) muffin tins with non stick cooking spray or butter.
- On a floured surface knead dough for about 4 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and place one portion on a floured surface and refrigerate the remaining portions.
- Roll out the dough to a 12x12x1/8-inch rectangle.
- Cut the dough lengthwise into 6 2-inch strips and stack the strips to form 6 layers.
- Cut the stacks into 6 equal portions, each about 2-inch squares.
- Place each stack on their edge, cut side down in the prepared muffin cups. Repeat with the remaining dough sections.
- Cover with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until nearly doubles in size.
- After it has risen preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes.
Makes 24 rolls.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.