Raspberry Corn Muffins
Scrumptious, orange-scented cornmeal muffins laced with fresh raspberries.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease 12 muffin cups if you want small muffins; grease only 6 if you like larger ones.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, making sure to thoroughly blend in the baking powder and baking soda.
- Combine egg, butter, buttermilk and orange juice; beat well. Make a well in the center of the cornmeal mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Begin mixing with simple, smooth strokes. When partially blended, add raspberries and orange peel. Continue to mix sparingly, just until all dry ingredients are incorporated. (Don't overmix.)
- Distribute batter among muffin cups. Half fill any vacant cups with water.
- Bake for 15 minutes (small ones) or 20 minutes (larger ones). Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
Makes 6 large or 12 small muffins.