Rhubarb Custard Muffins
Looking for a great way to use rhubarb other than cobbler? Then try these delicious, custard-filled rhubarb muffins.
2 large egg yolks
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot milk
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk yolks and granulated sugar until light. Whisk in hot milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 6 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Chill.
- Line muffin tin with paper cups.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk, and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat to blend. Stir in rhubarb.
- In anther bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to rhubarb mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Using measuring tablespoon, press in center of each to form a pool. Fill each with scant tablespoon of chilled custard.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12 muffins.