Imagine the aroma created by these fragrant, sesame seed-covered breadsticks and before you know it, you'll be in the kitchen trying out the real thing.
3 cups all-purpose or bread flour - divided use
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine half of the flour with yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl; add warm water (105° to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C) and oil; beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, garlic and as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 4 or 5 times or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into fourths; shape each portion into a ball then divide each ball into 10 portions. Shape each portion into an 8-inch rope.
- Brush each dough rope with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place ropes 2-inches apart on baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Bake until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 10 breadsticks.