Spiral Cinnamon Rolls
Sliced cinnamon roll dough baked in muffin tin cups 'spiral upward' while baking.
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 large egg
3/4 cup all-purpose or bread flour
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl, combine scalded milk, sugar, salt, and butter; stir until the butter melts.
- In a larger bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the milk mixture, 1 1/2 cups flour, and egg; beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 8 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Brush surface with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up from the long side and seal the edges with water.
- Cut into 1-inch slices and place in greased muffin tins. Brush the tops with melted margarine. Using a fork, gently lift the center of the rolls to form a peak. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes or until done.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk; beating well. Drizzle over the warm rolls.
Makes 12 cinnamon rolls.