Tomato and Cheese-Filled Foccacia
Sliced Roma tomatoes, Italian seasonings, provolone and Parmesan cheese are nestled in the center of this scrumptious Italian flatbread topped with more Parmesan cheese and seasonings.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning - divided use
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 to 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor. Add the yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Process until the mixture forms a ball; process 1 minute longer. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled. Punch down.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Pat the dough into an oiled 10-inch cake pan or springform pan. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- In a bowl combine shredded provolone cheese, 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Cut the baked foccacia horizontally to make two layers. Place the bottom on a baking sheet. Cover with thinly sliced tomato and the cheese mixture. Place the remaining layer on top and brush with 4 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Makes 10 servings.