Apple Cinnamon French Toast
Start this breakfast dish the night before.
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 loaf unsliced French bread, crust trimmed and sliced thick
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large tart green apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine syrup, butter, and brown sugar in a sauce pan; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for several minutes or until syrup-like consistency.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Pour syrup mixture into the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Layer apple slices in the syrup.
- Lay the bread slices on top of the apples. Pour egg mixture over all, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour. Cut into squares and invert to serve. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Makes 8 servings.