An elegant omelet filled with tender steamed asparagus and sautéed mushrooms, this dish makes a light lunch, a brunch 'specialty' or an early evening supper with a crisp salad and some wheat rolls.
1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups sliced mushrooms
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Cook in boiling water until tender ( 2 to 4 minutes); drain thoroughly.
- Melt half of the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic and mushrooms until soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and mix with asparagus; cover and set aside to keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, basil and pepper. Melt remaining butter in skillet over moderate heat; pour in egg mixture. Tip skillet to coat evenly with egg.
- As eggs cook, periodically tilt skillet, lifting cooked portion, allowing uncooked egg mixture to slide beneath.
- When eggs are cooked, but surface is still shiny, place asparagus and mushrooms on one side; slide out of pan onto a warm plate. Fold plain half of omelet over asparagus-mushroom mixture. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.